Monday 10 March 2014

Studio Re-Jig


"Time on our hands. We'll while away the day. So much time on our hands."

This has been the sound-track to my life for the past week. Due to a reduction in hours at work, I have a lot more time to play with in the mornings these days. I hope to spend a big portion of this extra time in my studio, being productive and ticking off a few things on my 'I could so make that myself' wish-list. 


However, lately I've found myself feeling restless in this space. I was finding the way everything was laid out decidedly counter-productive and not efficiency inducing in the slightest! It was time for a shift around.

I wanted to be able to have my cutting table fully extended at all times, with an area which could be used as a desk to sit and sketch new designs. One of my new roles at Make is as a Product Designer, so it was important for me to have a clear space to do my work.


I'm working on the Staple Dress at the moment, a very basic April Rhodes pattern. But for some reason, it's taking me forever to get it finished! I'm the kind of crafter who has a million different projects on the go at any one time so I tend to work quite slowly!

You may have also seen on the news that we've had a whole lot of rain recently! Since the forecast was so dismal and many areas of Christchurch were underwater, people were being advised to stay inside wherever possible. This being the case, I thought I'd make the most of it and do something I've been dying to do since we moved in...build a den inside my studio's wardrobe!

So, here's how it looked before:

 
And after the nesting process:


Perfect for snuggling up to do some stitching with a brew on a rainy day. Oh, and would you look at that, it's raining again today. Thanks Mr Weatherman :)


No comments:

Post a Comment