Sunday 30 March 2014

Travel - Sewing Kit


Good evening/morning readers! I have a whole heap of these DIY travel accessories posts to share with you so let's get started!

I've been sewing like I have needles for fingers lately, in a mad dash to get everything ticked off my list of things to make before we go away in May. One of these items was a travel sewing kit.


I found a great tutorial from Lots of Pink Here and, taking my inspiration from a great version of the kit on Dispatches From Whitcomb Street, set out to re-create one of my own. The outer fabric is a lovely cotton/linen blend by Anna Maria Horner and the inside is a combination of linen, a quirky McCall's patterns fabric and some brown paper-clip patterned binding.


Eunny Yang's version features a mini pin cushion and a lined zipper pouch between two of the sections. I added Velcro to the pin cushion so it can be removed for ease of use. I also added some rows of stitching on the left-hand pocket to slip in my quick un-pick, chalk pencil, tape measure etc.


I love the spool tab: it's going to be great for carrying around mini spools of thread to sew on buttons and mend rips. The zipper pouch is definitely going to come in handy for storing odd buttons and transportable projects. 



I've also been trying to quickly throw together a couple of handmade garment ensembles for our city stops. More on that to come...I have a few hems to finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment