Thursday 3 April 2014

Hollyburn Denim Skirt

T-shirt - thrifted
Denim Skirt - handmade
Necklace - gift from my mother-in-law
Headband - handmade
Face - model's own



My last wardrobe-related post was over a year ago now and since I've resumed sewing lots recently, I thought it was about time I shared a handmade garment with you!

Unlike crafting, I wouldn't describe my relationship with making clothes as a harmonious one. I'm still very much a beginner and the phrase 'practice makes perfect' is hard to hear when you're unpicking something for the fifth or sixth time! Having said this, there is a certain sort of satisfaction that I gain upon completing an item of clothing that I just don't get after finishing a craft project.

It's kinda like, 'phew, that wasn't as easy as I thought, but I did it!' Kind of...

This week, I finished two items of clothing: a denim skirt and another Staple dress.




My skirt was made using a Sewaholic pattern - the Hollyburn. As usual, I ignored the warning on the pattern sleeve not to use anything but light-weight fabrics and opted for this medium-weight denim, largely due to a lack of choice in fashion fabrics in CHCH. Come on Global Fabrics and open in The Tannery already!

I also skipped on making a toile - much to my own detriment. Considering I have an extremely disproportionate waist to hip ratio, this was a very bad decision. The first time I tried the skirt on, it was huuuge on the waist. I took it in quite a lot before sewing in the zip, but it still sits better on my hips than my waist, which is a shame.



Apologies for the weird cropping - those are definitely my hands!


But now I know, I will probably opt for two sizes smaller next time! I'll be starting on another next week so hopefully I can make it fit much more snugly. 

I have also been making an array of wire-shaped fabric headbands this week, to help dress-up my locks as I go through a month of bleaching in order to eventually dye my hair either baby pink or lilac (more on that soon!) I've become a little bit addicted to making these as they are super simple and great for using up fabric remnants. I plan to make up a collection to take home and give as gifts to girlfriends :)







No comments:

Post a Comment